Moving House. Plan Your Work, Work Your Plan!
1. Set a firm date for your move.
2. You may want to hire a relocation consultant (particularly if you are moving here from interstate or overseas).
3. Organise a reputable removal company - ask friends or relatives for recommendations.
4. If you need storage, arrange it now.
5. Organise transit and/or storage insurance for your belongings.
6. Organise your travel for moving day - if you’re moving a distance, you may need to book a hotel or accommodation.
7. If necessary, book time off work.
8. Collect moving materials such as boxes, packing tape, rope, newspapers (for wrapping) and marking pens.
9. Keep a list of incoming mail and start notifying businesses and suppliers of your change of address.
1. Start packing non essential items and clothing - list the items packed on the outside of the box.
2. Contact your utility companies and communication providers (eg Telstra, Optus and Vodafone.)
3. Arrange for disconnection and reconnection of telephone, internet and pay tv services at your new address.
4. Ask someone you really trust to look after the children on moving day.
5. Update insurance policies.
6. Make a list of the items you want the removal company to move and any items you’ll be moving yourself.
7. If you have pets, organise care for them during moving day and make necessary pet transport arrangements.
8. Start cleaning your home.
9. Arrange redirection of mail with Australia Post. You can do this online.
10. Dispose of any hazardous waste in the correct manner.
11. Empty your freezer and pantry by eating all the food!
1. Arrange for bills to be paid.
2. Cancel services such as mowing service, newspapers and other home delivery services.
3. Confirm arrangements with utility companies.
4. Put important documents such as passports, drivers licences in a safe place.
5. Finish packing - make sure all boxes are correctly labelled with contents and rooms.
6. Return library books and DVDs and pick up any dry cleaning.
7. If packing all your stuff has left you with piles of rubbish, take it to the nearest tip.
8. Pack up your computer (if you can do without it for that long!). Keep all cords and accessories together.
1. Make sure the house is clean. At this busy time it might be worth hiring a cleaner to finish for you.
2. Strip the beds and keep the linen in a separate box that travels with you so you can use them on the first night.
3. Disconnect remaining appliances.
4. Do one final check of your house as the removal company are loading your boxes.
5. Have final payment ready for your removal company.
6. Read the removal company document thoroughly before signing and save it for future reference.
7. Stay home until the last item is packed and make an inspection of the van to check all your goods are loaded.
8. Close and lock all the doors and windows.
9. Make sure you have the keys to your new home with you.
10. Carry valuables, personal items and important papers with you so they don’t get lost.
11. Pack a kit for the first hours in your new home - include tea / coffee, kettle, mugs, teaspoons, water bottle, etc.
Check all items during unloading and unpacking - look for any damaged or missing items.
Check the utilities have been switched on - if not, contact the suppliers.
Start with essentials such as making the beds and cleaning the kitchen for use.
Keep pets away until you are moved in.
Find out which day is your garbage and recycling collection day is by contacting the city council.
Find you local parks, shops, sports centres and swimming pools.
Get your pets familiarised to the new area as quickly as possible so they don’t try to find their old place.
Take a few different routes to go places from your new home - you’re sure to find some handy short cuts.
If renting, tell the agency about appliances that aren’t working or defects. Check what you are allowed to do.
Don’t forget to get an updated driver’s licence or change your car registration.
Even if you are are not considering selling your house right now this highly informative publication really is a must have. Expertly written, easy to read and superbly illustrated, the Ebook contains valuable information that will help you prepare your property to achieve the highest possible selling price and quickly too.
Designed and hosted by the Pritchard & Pritchard team. All original text and graphic content is the intellectual property and copyright © 2017 Pritchard & Pritchard and may not be duplicated without the express written consent of the copyright owners. Web hosting of all original content must be provided by the copyright owners only. Phone | 0403 464 585 - International +61 403 464 585.
Email Email Developers